Background Info

A Tale of Survival

Friday, March 4, 2011

Insert "Idiot" here.

Since I've had six years of dealing with my idiot coworker I have a backlog of complaints and stories to share. Here's a taste of what's to come.

My idiot coworker was typing a word document and asks me how to insert some information into the main text. Apparently when he types, it's writing over what is already there! Oh no!

He actually used the word "insert" so I tell him, "Hit the insert button."
"What? That's what I'm asking you. Damnit, why is it writing over everything?"
"You are in overwrite mode, hit the insert button and it will change it."
"What is overwrite mode and where is the insert button? I've never seen an insert button."
I walk back to his desk and point to the button. He finally hits it and all is well.

I don't expect everyone to know the ins and outs of Word or Excel, but we use it everyday, all day. Plus, he seems to be incapable of trying to figure out something of his own. This occurrence was actually repeated at least three times before he finally understood how to work the insert button and keep the Word document from being set to overwrite and stop asking me how to fix it all. For most, one explanation would be enough, but not for my idiot coworker.

5 comments:

  1. Ok, so here is the unsolicited advice for this type of situation. The next time he has a question about something like that, your answer will be, "You know what, I haven't got any idea, but I can show you how I'd find out!" and then you introduce him to Clippy or the help menu or whatever it is that idiots who failed out of computer lab in preschool use when they can't just figure out how Microsoft Office operates. From then on, you can just say, "Did you already forget what I showed you about how to use the help menu? That's okay. I'll show you again." and that's all the tech support he gets from you from now on. Also, suggest via Email that he use this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+does+insert+mode+work%3F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly I have already suggested something like Clippy or help. His response is basically "It takes too long and is too hard to find the answer. Why bother when I can just ask you?" On occassions when I don't know, he makes rude sarcastic remarks like "I thought you knew everything. Why don't you know this?"
    Asshole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pertinent question may also be... how does he keep turning the damn overwrite function on to begin with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a strict no-ahole policy when it comes to helping people. I suggest you get good at pronouncing one of the most helpful and stress-relieving words in the English language: "no"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let Me Google That For you (http://lmgtfy.com/) is one of my favorite sites when dealing with people like that, example below.

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+do+I+turn+off+overwrite+in+Word%3F

    ReplyDelete